“Had a great time celebrating Cow Harbor Day in Northport Village on Sunday, September 17,” stated Councilman Mark Cuthbertson.
For those history buffs who are wondering where the name “Cow Harbor” comes from, here’s the answer that’s found on the Northport Village homepage:
The original inhabitants of the area now known as Northport were the Matinecocks, one of 13 Native American tribes of Long Island. The Matinecocks called this land “Opcathontyche,” which meant “wading place creek.” After Dutch interest a few years earlier, the land was sold by Chief Asharoken, head of the Matinecocks, to three Englishmen in 1656.
With land that was well suited for farming, the early settlers grazed cattle on pastures around the harbor. The area soon became known as Great Cow Harbor.(The nearby village of Centerport was known as Little Cow Harbor).